Are you a movie buff who have large DVD collections? I believe you should have also encountered some annoying things. For instance: it takes too much room to store our DVDs especially when we have a lot of DVD discs. And, the DVD discs may be damaged if we do not store them properly, but some of them cost us a lot. Or someday we suddenly wanna watch a favorite old DVD but have to spend several hours to find it out. So terrible!!! For me, to avoid such troubles again, I found a solution, that is, we can rip or copy DVD to Synology NAS drive, and stream them anytime, from anywhere. Here offers 2 ways to finish this task.
First Way: Seeking help from a top DVD Ripper to rip a DVD to NAS
Hollywood wants you to buy its movies on DVD and Blu-ray, but it also wants to control what you do with them once you get home. As far as we know, almost all DVD movies are encrypted with CSS copy protection. Decryption keys are stored in the normally inaccessible lead-in area of the disc. You'll usually get an error if you try to copy the contents of an encrypted DVD to NAS drive.
However, if you have used a software player to play the movie, it will have authenticated the disc in the drive, allowing you to copy without error, while the encryption keys will not be copied. If you try to play the copied VOB files, the decoder will request the keys from the DVD-ROM drive and you will fail to copy with an error message "Cannot play copy-protected files". What you need to do is processing DVD to digital conversion. That said, you'll need a DVD to NAS ripper utility that can remove the Content Scrambling System (CSS) or similar built-in protections that prevent straight-up copying, and then rip DVD to a mobile-compatible format and then backup the ripped DVD onto NAS.
Recommend a Top DVD Ripper for NAS
Here Dimo Video Converter Ultimate is plain NAS DVD ripping solution that works on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 for every single user to rip every possible DVD, either encrypted by Disney or CSS, Region code, to any video format AVI, MP4, MPG or HD videos MKV, HD WMV, HD MOV, and iPhone, iPad, to name but a few for streaming via NAS. The clean UI clearly shows the estimation of output file size and you will see if it is a reasonable size before ripping and you're free to customize any profile and save it as your own so that you can rip your DVD collections to store onto NAS for safe-keeping or convenient playback. Mac version is here. Right now let me direct you how to copy DVD to NAS drive. It is simple with no complicated steps and professional knowledge required.
Compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP, etc. Note that you need a Windows computer with DVD-ROM, otherwise prepare a DVD drive.
people have downloaded it
Steps to backup and copy DVD to Synology NAS drive
1. Load DVD files by clicking "Load DVD" after making this DVD ripper installed and run on your computer. All movie titles will be detected and listed in few seconds after analyzing. Meanwhile, you can select sound track for ripping.
2. Pick up your device friendly video format or choose MP4 format from "Format > Video/HD Video"out of program "Select Format" box as the output. However, you should know that the HD format we select here is not of real HD quality because the original DVD is of SD quality, but the quality indeed is better.
3. Click "Start" button to rip DVD to NAS video for storage. Within a short while, the DVD digitization or backup process will end.
When it finishes, you can just need to copy the converted DVD to NAS drive. Then if you prefer, you can stream the DVD on NAS to computer, iPhone, iPad, TV via network sharing for watching. Very easy!
Tip 1. Allows users to shrink DVD to store more movies to the NAS
Just adjust output video resolution, frame rate, bit rate and more with this DVD ripper;
Tip 2. You can extract audio tracks or background music from DVD
Select audio format like FLAC, MP3, M4A, WMA, AC3, OGG and much more with this DVD extractor;
Tip 3: Support built-in video editor to enhance & personalize DVD
By pressing "Edit", you are able to customize DVD movies as per your needs. You can rotate the videos, apply special visual effects, change the video parameters, trim, cropping, add watermarks, create 3D and more with this DVD editor.
Tip 4: Able to 5.1 sound for NAS backup
Make sure you have 6ch as the source and you'd better select DTS or AC3 as the output audio encoder and set the channel to 6. Because we are not sure how the Smart Fit actually works for us, and MP3 as far as know, does not support 6 channels.
Tip 5: Convert DVD with fast speed
The operation speed is super fast. Some of the DVD copy software may take several hours to rip the DVD content, but with Dimo DVD Ripper for NAS, this situation will surely not appear.
DVD to MPG: 5-10 mins
DVD to MP4: (h264): 1 hour
DVD to AVI: 25-30 mins
DVD to WMV: 20-25 mins
Second Way: Making use of DVD Copy to backup DVD
Applying a DVD copier is also a great way to backup DVD movies for safe-keeping. With above-mentioned Dimo Video Converter Ultimate, the copying speed can be 30X faster as compared to DVD Ripper and other DVD copy software, and the original video and audio quality is perfectly preserved. The detailed guide is as below:
1. Install the DVD copier on your PC and then input the DVD movies to program list by "Add DVD" button.
2. Set the saving folder on your computer and choose the target as "Format > MultiTrack".
3. Check "fast mode" option if you need to accelerate DVD lossless backup speed if you choose lossless MKV format.
4. Click the "Start" button to backup protected DVD movies to NAS drive in multi-track MP4/MKV format for saving. Now you are able to make a successful and full copy of protected DVD movie to NAS. The entire disc could be copied to your hard drive keeping the original structure as you want.
After getting your DVD copied to digital format, then store the ripped DVD on your NAS and watch them on your TV via a media streamer such as a WD TV Live Hub, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Google TV, etc. Even just getting rid of using a DVD player.
Submit Your Question to Us, Get an Answer within 24 hours.